The UCLA Cheer Squad is the officially recognized cheer squad for the university. The team performs and travels to support the UCLA Athletic Department throughout the season. Returning members must audition each year and are not guaranteed a spot on the team.
Composition and Techniques
There are six to ten male and female couples on the Cheer Squad.
Squad members perform co-ed stunts including the basics with chairs, walk into hands and toss to hands, working toward extensions, liberties and cupies. The squad builds pyramids including 2-2-1, high splits and table top. The squad also executes baskets including toe touch, back tuck, full-twisting layouts and X-out.
There is no minimum tumbling requirement. Squad members are expected to work towards standing back tucks, standing back handsprings and tumbling passes including back handsprings, tucks, lay-outs and full-twisting layouts.
Motion Technique and Dance
Squad members perform with the UCLA Bruin Marching Band. Females perform dance routines and males are more focused on arm motions.
Female Score Sheet »
Male Score Sheet »
Spring and Summer
- Throughout spring quarter, the squad will meet two to three days/week for practice. Squad will work on partner stunting, tumbling and material for upcoming events throughout the summer and football games.
- The squad has the month of June off.
- The full squad is required to attend Boot Camp in August.
- Practices begin in July through the beginning of fall quarter.
- Once classes begin for fall quarter, practices are held three to four days/week.
- Tuesday mornings are reserved for workouts.
- Squad members are required to find an additional two times during the week to maintain their individual workout from the personal trainer.
- Typically, workouts are with our trainer on the track for the first hour and weight room for the second hour. Rehearsals are with the coach and involve learning and reviewing game material.
The Cheer Squad performs at athletic, campus, alumni, media and community service events throughout the year beginning in Spring Quarter immediately following auditions. The squad performs at:
- All home and select away football games
- All home and select away men’s and women’s basketball games
- Select men’s volleyball games
- Select gymnastics meets
- Select Olympic sporting events including: water polo, softball, track and field, soccer, etc.
- Various campus events including: class appearances, grand openings, recognition ceremonies, etc.
- Various alumni events including: seasonal kick-offs, dinners, scholarship presentations, etc.
- Media events including: TV promotions, sponsorship promotions, commercials, photo shoots, etc.
- Community service events including: performances at local middle and high schools, birthday parties, weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs, etc.
What to Expect in Clinics
Try-outs will take place during the clinic process. Each candidate must attend the Wednesday clinic during the first week. At the end of the clinic, invitations will be announced inviting candidates to the Final Audition. There will be a panel of professionals and UCLA alumni to evaluate talent and potential in stunting and tumbling.
What to Expect on Audition Day
- Female/Male couples perform the Fight Song and Drum Cadence taught at the clinics.
- Candidates have the option of doing running tumbling for their entrance and/or running in and performing standing tumbling, kicks and/or jumps.
- For female candidates, a series of kicks - 5 kicks on each side.
- Each candidate will participate in a group interview and deliver a personal statement (45 seconds). Two to three questions are asked during each interview.
What to Wear for Audition Clinics and Audition Day
- Sports bra
- Spandex shorts
- White, athletic shoes-shoelaces tucked in-appropriate for stunting (shoes will not be worn during the gymnastics portion of the audition)
- Hair should be out of the candidate's face, but not in a ponytail
- Stage/game-ready/TV-ready make-up
- Appropriate bras or sport bras and bloomers/briefs
- No jewelry or body piercings
- No ribbons/bows
- No food or gum
- Overall clean, mature and collegiate presentation
- navy or black shorts
- clean T-shirt
- small, ankle socks
- white, athletic shoes--shoelaces tucked in (shoes will not be worn during the gymnastics portion of the audition)
- no facial hair
- short, clean hair cut
- no jewelry or body piercings
- no food or gum
- overall clean, mature and collegiate presentation